Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Another good deal I got last week----Fashion Bug sends me these coupons for $10 off of $10 and so I go and shop the clearance stuff--I got the cutest yellow purse for only 99 cents! Believe it!
Sunday, March 21, 2010
I fell in love with the fabric as soon as I saw it. To me, it looked like what a vintage fabric would look like before the aging process. So after I had all my pieces cut out, I wanted to tone it down a bit--just so it wasn't stark white. I thought tea dyeing it would be perfect! All you need to tea dye is:
-A HUGE bowl
-Lots of tea bags (I used chamomile tea--it gave it a nice golden tone)
-A big pot of boiling water
-towels to lay your fabric out on
All I did was boil a ton of water, then I poured it into the big bowl. I put almost all of the tea bags into the water---put more or less in depending on how dark you want it, and then let them soak for a while...until you like the color. I bet if you used black tea, it would turn your fabric much darker. I liked the golden tone the chamomile tea gave me. It would be fun to try different kinds of tea to see the resulting colors. Once the water was the color I liked, I squeezed the water out of the tea bags and took them out. Then I put my fabric in the water. I would be careful about how many pieces of fabric you put in--if you over-crowd them, the color won't be even. I did a test run first, I took a scrap and let it soak to see if I liked the color, then I did the rest. I also stirred the fabric around every once in a while so that the color would take evenly. I ended up letting it soak overnight, and I really liked my end result.
Here is a picture of the inside pocket I did--I needed some help with this, so I read this great tutorial here at Sew, Mama, Sew--it was really helpful and the pictures were great to help along the way.
You can see that I also did a magnetic clasp. I even put a hook thing on the inside--I'm not sure what it's called---and I'll eventually make some kind of zippered pouch to attach to it.
If you're wondering where I got the hardware...I went to the Thrift Store downtown and I found an old purse for $2, then I just cut all the clasps and hooks off. I couldn't find any of this type of hardware in the stores here, and I bet even if I did, it would have been a lot more expensive...and this hardware is REALLY nice and sturdy. I would definitely recommend reusing old purse hardware for a project like this.
So I wore this purse for the first time yesterday...and I LOVED IT! It was really comfy because the strap is nice and wide, and I could hardly feel it on my shoulder. I love the size...and I love how it is soft and slouchy....I think I might even make another one...
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Friday, March 12, 2010
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Friday, March 5, 2010
This was a fun project! All you need for this is a nice piece of wood, 2 colors of paint, vinyl lettering, and the damask design in vinyl. First I painted the wood tan, and let it dry really well. Once it was dry, I put my damask vinyl design on. Then I painted the soft black OVER the entire vinyl design. I did a couple of coats so the paint looked real sharp. Then I PEELED the vinyl damask design off, revealing the tan underneath! I found in my many experiments that you HAFTA get the good tole paints--like Delta Ceramcoat or Americana. I tried the off brand paints with a project like this one, where you peel the vinyl off, and all it did was peel the paint off with it. It was a disaster. So stick with the good stuff! Next I put my vinyl lettering on over my design, and voila! Just get a cute little stand to display it on and you've got a really fancy decoration!
Since Easter is coming up, I just have to show you all this card I made! The broken buttons took some muscle--as well as a sock and some pliers! I used the sock (clean :-) )as a shield so I wouldn't scratch the buttons with the pliers as I broke them. My husband says I could put this card in a shadowbox type frame and make it into a holiday decoration if I wanted to. Great idea, Honey!
Alright, the next two fall under my furniture refinishing hobby!
Before---this is what we call our "hobby chair"--I'm not really sure how this name came about, I think it might be because at one point I had a lot of my craftin' things piled high on it.
I wanted to fix this one up so it matched our tan sectional (you can kinda see it in the background there). So I went to Home Fabrics and bought some tan microsuede fabric that was a dead on match to our couch. I have NEVER reupholstered anything in my life, but I wanted to give it a try. So I ripped those green covers off and took them apart. I wanted to use those as a pattern for the new covers. Of course that didn't quite work out like I had hoped. So I had to figure it out as I went, and it actually turned out REALLY nice! I was super excited with the results. I also refinished the body of the chair and painted it a nice soft black to match our couch.
Here's the AFTER.....